Adler Mission & Values
The mission of the Adler Planetarium is to inspire exploration and understanding of our Universe. We value:
- An engaging, user-friendly museum serving diverse audiences
- Excitement and curiosity about space science and space exploration
- Programs based on credible science and educational research
- Well-managed collections
- Adherence to results-oriented planning
- A professional work environment and highly motivated, diverse staff
- Long-term financial stability and the economic viability of our endeavors.
ADLER DIVERSITY STATEMENT | LEADERSHIP, STAFF, VOLUNTEERS & PROGRAMMING
To effectively educate and serve our community and constituents, the Adler Planetarium strives to achieve diversity among its Trustee leadership, staff, volunteers, and programming
A Brief History
MAY 12, 1930
The Adler Planetarium, the first planetarium in the western hemisphere, opened to the public. Chicago business leader Max Adler contributed funds for the museum’s construction, a Zeiss projector, and the Mensing Collection of astronomical instruments. South Park Commissioners agreed to assume operating costs. Adler dedicated the institution as a “classroom under the heavens” for popular astronomy education. Philip Fox was the first Director of the Adler (until 1937).
1933 – 1934
During the Century of Progress World’s Fair, the Adler’s total attendance for the two-year period was more than 1.2 million people.
1935 – 1951
Annual attendance stabilized at approximately 250,000 per year from 1935 until 1942; it dropped to 177,000 and remained under 200,000 throughout World War II; attendance then returned to prewar levels until 1951. Maude Bennot served as Director from 1937 to 1945, possibly the first woman to lead a major science museum. F. Wagner Schlesinger became Adler’s Director in 1945.
Robert S. Adler, son of founder Max Adler, recruited civic leaders and organized the Chicago Planetarium Society, a non-profit membership organization which promoted interest in and raised funds for the Adler.
As Sputnik was launched by the USSR, attendance at the Adler increased by approximately 100,000 and continued to rise during the 1950’s and 1960’s, reaching 587,425 in 1967. Albert V. Schatzel served as Acting Director until 1960, followed by Robert I. Johnson.
The Astro-Science Workshop was launched as an accelerated science course for gifted high school students. It received an early grant from the National Science Foundation.
At the request of Robert S. Adler and the Chicago Planetarium Society, Mayor Richard J. Daley organized a citizen committee to study the Adler and make recommendations for its future. The committee report called for the creation of a Board of Trustees to share management responsibility with the Chicago Park District. The report also called for a stronger professional staff and expanded educational programming.
1968 – 1970
Joseph M. Chamberlain, then director of the Hayden Planetarium (New York) was recruited as the Adler’s Director. Following the Mayor’s suggestions,
he hired a professional staff and organized an evening course program. The Adler also purchased a new Zeiss planetarium projector and formed its Board of Trustees.
The Astro-Science Center capital campaign raised $1.8 million – matched by the Chicago Park District – to build an underground addition to the original 1930 building. The underground addition included the Kroc Universe Theater, a food service facility, school lunchroom, classrooms, library, full-scale bookstore/gift shop, library and exhibition hall. These new facilities opened to public on May 12, 1973.
In January, The Adler’s first taped planetarium show Comet Tales premiered in the Sky Theater.
The Adler’s Board of Trustees assumed full management responsibility.
The Doane Observatory opened as Chicago’s first high-powered public telescope. At the same time, The Field Museum’s King Tut exhibition drew record crowds that helped increase Adler attendance to 686,085.
The Adler’s 50th anniversary celebration brought attendance to its highest point since the Century of Progress World’s Fair. The Half-Century Capital Campaign raised $2.65 million for new exhibitions, automation of both the Sky Theater and the Kroc Universe Theater, renovated collection facilities, construction of the McCormick Center for Young People, Doane Observatory improvements, and installation of the Henry Moore Sundial.
The approach of Halley’s Comet increased Adler attendance by 200% over a six- month period.
The Adler launched its Chicago’s Brightest Star campaign. By 1990, the Adler had raised $7.1 million for construction, new exhibitions, and an educational endowment.
The Adler introduced Estrella de Maravilla, a Spanish-language version of its popular annual holiday sky show, Star of Wonder.
The Adler “reopened” with a new exhibition area, dining and school lunch facilities, production suite and research center, and the Stairway to the Stars escalator from the Kroc Universe Theater to the Sky Theater. As a result of the successful campaign, the Adler hired an Education Coordinator and began a teachers workshop program.
An outreach astronomer was hired for the Adler’s first venture into off-site programming, which utilized the inflatable “Starlab” portable planetarium.
Joseph M. Chamberlain retired and Dr. Paul H. Knappenberger Jr., PhD was hired as president.
The Universe In Your Hands is unveiled. The exhibition highlights instruments in the Adler Collection that illustrate astronomers’ early theories.
The Adler announced the Universe is Expanding campaign to fund a 60,000 square-foot addition, a complete renovation of the original building, and creation of new exhibition galleries.
Ground was broken on the expansion project.
Governor Jim Edgar opened the Sky Pavilion, along with an extensive renovation of the original 1930 building. The Adler now offered several new exhibitions and the world’s first all-digital, interactive planetarium theater.
The Center for Space Science Education opened at the Adler with the help of NASA and the State of Illinois. The Center included the CyberSpace Learning Center, which combined a state-of-the-art distance learning studio, multi-unit computer classroom, and an exhibition gallery offering daily updates from NASA.
The Adler opened the Bringing the Heavens to Earth exhibition in the C. Paul Johnson Gallery. Visitors learned how cultures around the world explained and utilized the movement of the stars.
The Adler Women’s Board was launched and invited to oversee the museum’s annual black tie gala, the Celestial Ball.
Aliens at the Adler kicked off a year themed around the possibilities of life on other worlds. Two new sky shows (Search for Alien Worlds and Alien Encounters) and a temporary exhibition (Stranded in an Alien Lab) invited visitors to explore the Universe for other forms of life.
Six new planetarium shows debuted: Mars Now!, Mars Rocks!/Future Frontier, The Future is Wild, Sonic Vision, Stars of the Pharaohs, and Secrets of Saturn.
The estate of Paul H. Leffmann announced the largest individual gift in Adler history – $5.5 million. The museum’s education center was named to recognize this generous bequest.
On May 12, 2005, the Adler kicked off its 75th anniversary with a renewed commitment to academic achievement, public education, community partnerships, and museum visibility. Retired NASA astronaut Capt. James A. Lovell, Jr. served as Chairman of the Adler’s 75th Anniversary. The Board of Trustees announced a new museum vision – to inspire the next generation of explorers and become the world’s premier space science center.
On November 11, the Adler unveiled the Shoot for the Moon exhibition. The first gallery—A Journey with Jim Lovell—featured Captain Lovell’s personal collection of space artifacts and the fully restored Gemini 12 spacecraft. The second gallery—Mission: Moon—showcased America’s return to the moon in a highly interactive environment.
The Boeing Company announced a $5 million commitment to help construct a new exhibition for the museum’s youngest visitors. It was the largest corporate gift in the museum’s history.
The Board of Trustees authorized the formal naming of the museum’s History of Astronomy Department and collections as The Webster Institute for the History of Astronomy. The naming recognized the extraordinary 40-year commitment of Roderick S. and Marjorie K. Webster to the museum – as trustees, donors, and volunteer curators/collection managers. A friends group for the Webster Institute was founded (called The Webster Club) to engage the philanthropic community in the Adler Collection.
The Grainger Foundation announced a $5 million commitment to help restore the Adler’s historic Sky Theater, the first planetarium theater in the western hemisphere.
On July 1, the Adler announced the largest fund drive in its history, the $40 million Lift-Off! Campaign for Chicago’s Space Center. It was chaired by Trustees Frank M. Clark and Captain James A. Lovell, Jr.
Planet Explorers–the Adler’s first major exhibition for young children (ages 3-8)–opened in the newly-named Boeing Exploration Center.
In April, the Adler hosted a national celebration of the 40th Anniversary of Apollo 13. NASA leaders, veteran astronauts and flight directors were joined by actors from Ron Howard’s Oscar-winning film. The events raised more than $900,000 for Adler education programs.
In September, the Celestial Ball surpassed the $1 million mark in gross revenues, a ten-fold increase since the Women’s Board was invited to host the event in 2002.
In July, the Adler unveiled the newly-renovated Grainger Sky Theater – the most technologically sophisticated theater facility in the world – and the iconic Clark Family Welcome Gallery. Deep Space Adventure premiered as the first presentation in the adjoining new spaces.
In December, the Adler concluded the Lift-Off! Campaign for Chicago’s Space Center and announced it raised $54 million, more than 50% over its original goal.
In March, Adler President Dr. Paul H. Knappenberger Jr., PhD announced he would retire at the end of the year, after 21 years of service to the institution. A panel of Trustee leaders was recruited to oversee the search for a new chief executive officer.
In January, Michelle B. Larson, PhD became the Adler’s ninth leader and first female president.
In May, Destination Solar System debuted as the new marquee show in the Grainger Sky Theater.
In October, the Adler unveiled a new online catalog that makes the museum’s collection available to anyone in the world with internet access.
The Adler also completed phase one of a major renovation to the Doane Observatory—the first since its opening in 1977. Facility upgrades now allow the Doane to run independently of the museum, giving scientists and the public more time with its powerful telescope.
In April, the Adler celebrated the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission and re-opened Mission Moon, an interactive exhibition that tells the story of America’s first steps to the Moon, featuring artifacts from Captain Jim Lovell’s personal collection. NASA astronauts and flight directors joined Adler Trustees and donors in commemorating this historical moment.
To celebrate the 85th anniversary, the Adler opened the Community Design Lab—a collaborative workspace where guests bring their curiosity, are given a design challenge, and a variety of materials to bring their ideas to life. They then are encouraged to test and tweak their designs based on the outcomes
In September, the Adler launched its first science roadshow, Galaxy Ride, taking a taste of the Adler experience to 7 communities from Chicago to St. Louis along Route 66.
The Adler also broke an attendance record welcoming 539,499 visitors; up 22% from 2014 and the most since 1993.
In May, the Adler debuted a new sky show, Planet Nine, which the Chicago Tribune called, “the Adler’s best sky show yet.” Far Horizons’ celebrated their 100th flight and set a new record for number of flights in a year at 15!
In the fall, during the Kavli Fulldome Lecture Series, the Adler executed their first virtual reality pilot sending out Google Cardboard devices all over the world to select institutions and organizations including Lurie Children’s Hospital, so that patients could experience the immersive lecture remotely via the Cardboard and smartphone.
In total, 20,000 people looked through the Doane Observatory’s telescope in 2016 (an increase of 40% from 2015) including visitors from 45 states and 65 countries.
Also notable, was the First Prize in the BSHS Great Exhibitions Competition for What is a Planet?, ‘Scopes in the City becoming a top 100 Finalist for the Chicago Innovation Awards, and the Adler breaking another attendance record with an increase of 5% over 2015.
The Adler’s Year of the Eclipse kicked off with the opening of a new temporary exhibition, Chasing Eclipses in March.
Throughout the spring and summer, Adler educators and staff were out in the community giving talks and preparing Chicago for the great solar eclipse that occurred on August 21. Plus, the Adler’s Galaxy Ride science roadshow took to towns near Carbondale, Illinois—the site of greatest duration during the total solar eclipse—to drum up excitement via hands-on science and solar eclipse glasses. In total, the Adler distributed 250,000 safe solar viewing glasses to schools, parks, and communities across the state.
The Adler’s eclipse efforts through August 21 impacted more than 500,000 people including a record number at the Adler when 60,000 people experienced the solar eclipse together during Chicago’s Eclipse Fest.