Near Space Explorers Club
An Out of this World Experience
The Near Space Explorers After School Science Club gives high school students the chance to explore science and engineering topics related to near space exploration. Connected to our Far Horizons program, students build the skills necessary to design and build a payload prototype for a high altitude balloon. The Adler provides teachers the materials and training necessary to implement the club over the 2013-2014 school year.
Download our Near Space Explorers Club Information Sheet (PDF)
Clubs at participating schools receive support in the following ways:
- 16 hours of professional development at the Adler
- Near Space Explorers kit materials and curriculum to use during the school year
- Support from Adler educators, including one site visit by an Adler educator
- Participation in “Operation Airlift”, a culminating event run by the Adler
- Club leader stipend of $500 upon completion of all stipend requirements
In order to ensure the success of each club, the Adler respectfully requests your school administration’s support in achieving the goals of the club and a commitment to fulfilling the school requirements outlined below.
Participating schools commit to supporting their club in the following ways:
- Collecting photos release forms and permission slips for all students participating in the club.
Club leaders commit to supporting their club in the following ways:
- Club leader attendance at professional development sessions.
- Recruitment of at least 12 high school students to join the club.
- Convening at least eight weeks of club meetings (two hours per week).
- Timely submission of student pre-assessments and post-assessments
- Club leader participation in two mid-session online check-ins
- Club participation in the culminating eventClub leader attendance at a post-session summative meeting held at the Adler
- Club leader attendance at a post-session summative meeting held at the Adler
- Participation in program evaluation including submission of an end-of-program written report
2013-2014 Club Information
Dates and Locations:
All club leaders must attend 2 days of professional development at the Adler Planetarium:
Saturday, October 19 from 9 am to 4 pm
Saturday, November 2 from 9 am to 4 pm
The culminating event is tentatively set for Saturday, April 5 from 9 am to 3 pm, at the Air Force Academy High School.
Registration & Questions
Registration for the Near Space Explorers Club today is now closed. Stay tuned for future dates.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.