Space Explorers Club
An Out of this World Experience
The Space Explorers After School Science Club is a program designed to allow students in 6th – 8th grade to explore space science concepts in an after school environment. The Adler Planetarium is excited to implement this program with the generous support of NASA’s IBEX mission. Teachers from each participating school will lead the club through eight weeks of inquiry based lessons and activities.
Clubs at participating schools receive support in the following ways:
- GEMS Space Science Sequence 6-8 curriculum guides and materials
- $600 stipend upon completion of stipend requirements
- Support from Adler Educators, including three site visits focused on supporting the use of inquiry-based strategies in teaching.
- Saturday culminating event hosted by the Adler Planetarium for participating students and their families
In order to ensure the success of each club, the Adler respectfully requests your school administration’s support in achieving the goals of the club and a commitment to fulfilling the school requirements outlined below.
Participating schools commit to supporting their club in the following ways:
- Collecting photos release forms and permission slips for all students participating in the club.
- Providing transportation to and from the Adler Planetarium for the culminating event
Club leaders commit to supporting their club in the following ways:
- Club leader attendance at PD sessions held on evenings and weekends.
- Recruitment of at least 15 students, 6th - 8th grade, to join the club.
- Convening eight weeks of club meetings (two hours per week) and identifying the day(s) and time(s) of the club meetings at the professional development session
- Timely submission of student pre-assessments and post-assessments
- Club leader participation in two mid-session videoconference
- Club participation in the culminating event hosted at the Adler Planetarium
- Club leader attendance at a post-session summative meeting held at the Adler
- Participation in program evaluation including submission of an end-of-program written report
Registration is now closed. Stay tuned for future dates.
Please feel free to share this information with any other educators who you think may be interested in participating in this program as a club leader.
Contact Andi Nelson by emailing email@example.com or calling 312-322-0541.