Space Explorers Club
An Out of this World Experience
The Space Explorers After School Science Club is a program designed to allow Chicago Public School students in 6th – 8th grade to explore space science concepts in an after school environment. The Adler Planetarium is excited to implement this program with the generous support of NASA’s IBEX mission. Teachers from each participating Chicago Public School will lead the club through eight weeks of inquiry based lessons and activities for the Fall 2014 Session. If you are interested in participating, please fill out the below online interest form by Tuesday, September 16, 2014.
Participation in this program includes the following:
- 12 hours of professional development for club leaders held over a weekend at the Adler
- GEMS Space Science Sequence 6-8 curriculum guides and materials for either Unit 1: How the Sun Affects the Earth OR Unit 3: The Solar System
- Club leader stipend of $600 upon completion both days of PD
Participating Chicago Public Schools commit to the following:
In order to receive the club leader stipend, you are required to complete ALL of the below criteria during the Fall Session
- Club leader attendance at both days of PD for session of choice (dates and times listed below)
- Recruitment of at least 15 students, 6th-8th grade, to join the club
- Convening 8 weeks of club meetings
Fall Session Professional Development Date Options:
- Saturday, September 20 AND Sunday, September 21: Unit 1 - How the Sun Affects the Earth OR
- Saturday September 27 AND Sunday, September 28: Unit 3-The Solar System - 9am-3pm - PD session for club leaders (continental breakfast and lunch provided)
Register for our Fall professional development sessions.
Please feel free to share this information with any other educators who you think may be interested in participating in this program as a club leader.
Contact Andi Nelson by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 312.322.0541.