Adler After Dark
A bigger, bolder Adler After Dark experience is here! We’re relaunching our popular 21+ after-hours series freshly revamped for the new decade. Enjoy the same access, unlimited shows, and unique entertainment, but with a twist! We’re amping up the excitement and bringing you even more hands-on experiences with local partners and scientists, and celebrating all of the unique communities that call Chicago home.
Reinvent your Adler experience at Adler After Dark with friends, family, or that special someone on a date they’ll never forget! With themes that change for every event, Adler After Dark is never the same event twice.
Afrofuturism. It is more than a term to describe films like Black Panther; it is a cultural and artistic movement celebrating the black experience. Come celebrate Black Future Month this February at an Adler After Dark event you won’t want to miss!
We’ve partnered with the co-founders of Wakandacon and other notable Afrofuturists in the Chicago area to help explore Afrofuturism in the city where it was born.
- Join afrofuturist author and director Ytasha Womack for an immersive theater experience that melds dance, soundscapes, and cosmic visualizations, and explore the museum as never before with a special “narrative quest” featuring characters from Womack’s new novella, A Spaceship in Bronzeville.
- Check out a special panel featuring African American scientists in conversation on how their respective work influences their creative and artistic endeavors (and vice versa).
- Go on a journey into the unknown as improv actors from B.A.P.S. Comedy and PREACH! explore the story of Zambian science teacher Edward Nkloso and the Afronauts!
- Don’t miss hands-on STEM stations from our friends at Fermilab, a VR demo area with I Play Games, face and body art by Neko Harris, and performances by guest DJs, artists and actors who will take you on this afrofuturistic journey!
- Full access and admission to museum exhibits and galleries
- Unlimited sky shows in our 3 state-of-the-art theaters
- Special guests and lectures
- Stellar hands-on educational programs
- Access to the Doane Observatory* (weather permitting)
- Live entertainment
- The best view of the skyline from anywhere in Chicago!
The Doane Observatory is currently closed as we work to install a new telescope, but will be available again this spring!
Online Advance Purchase:
$25 General Admission/$12.50 Adler members
At the Door (Based on Availability):
$30 General Admission/$15 Adler members
2020 Adler After Dark Dates
Frequently Asked Questions
Tickets for the next month’s event go on sale the third Friday of the month at 9:00 am. For example, tickets for an event on Thursday, November 16 would go on sale Friday, October 20.
Once you check in, the rest of the evening is up to you! We recommend visiting the bar and grabbing a snack, and choosing one (or more) sky shows to see as they often fill up (seats in theaters are first-come, first-served once doors open). The rest of the event is largely drop-in programs that you can explore at your convenience. An event schedule/map will be available on the website 1-2 days before your event.
Hours vary by event.
June & August (Summer Hours): 6:30 – 10:30 pm
February, April, and October: 6:00 – 10:00 pm
Yes, several dining options are available for purchase in the Cosmic Cafe. The Cosmic Cafe provides a variety of freshly prepared options, including an array of soups, sandwiches, salads, flatbreads, beverages, and desserts.
Note that alcoholic beverages are not included with your ticket, but can be purchased from one of the many bars at the event and food can be purchased at the Cosmic Cafe.
Yes, all attendees are required to present a valid, government-issued photo IDs prior to entry.
It is unlikely that tickets will be available at the door if the event is sold out.
Yes! For group (15 or more) or corporate booking, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please bring your photo ID on the day of the event.
Yes! The gift shop will remain open until the end of the event so you can stock up on your space swag.
Each show is approximately 30 minutes in length and fills up quickly on a first-come, first-served basis.
Can’t find an answer to your question? Contact us at email@example.com.
Your all-access pass to our Universe!