Adler After Dark: Space Odyssey | Dec. 20
What is Adler After Dark?
Exclusively for adults 21+, this evening offers you open access, unlimited shows, and unique entertainment every third Thursday of the month from 6:00–10:00 pm (Summer hours, May-August: 6:30–10:30 pm.) With themes that change every month, Adler After Dark is never the same event twice. Reinvent your Adler experience every month with friends, family, or that special someone on a date they’ll never forget.
December 20: Space Odyssey
“Open the pod bay doors, HAL.”
The iconic sci-fi film 2001: A Space Odyssey turns fifty this year, so come celebrate the science of sci-fi flicks over popcorn and a brew!
Get ready to:
- Join astronomer Mark Hammergren and sci-fi editor, critic, and biographer Gary Wolfe in a spirited discussion on the impact 2001 had on film-making and its role in “blowing our minds” during the Apollo era
- Try your hand at stopping the devious HAL 9000 from taking over the event in a museum-wide scavenger hunt
- Learn more about film-making techniques, ranging from sound design to stop-motion animation
- Check out rarely-seen items from the museum’s collection—like paintings from renowned space artist Chesley Bonestell—whose work directly influenced Kubrick’s vision of the Moon in 1968
- And don’t miss a special improv show where we’ll explore the future as imagined in your fav sci-fi films!
From sentient AI to spaceship design, we’ve got your sci-fi bases covered this December at Adler After Dark.
$20 General Admission/$15 Adler members
At the Door (Based on Availability):
$25 General Admission/$20 Adler members
Doane Observatory tours will not be available at our December Adler After Dark as we continue to make improvements to the observatory. Thank you for your patience!
Please be aware that event capacity is limited and likely to sell out. Purchase your tickets online before the day of the event as tickets may not be available at the door. Check back for up-to-date ticket availability details. For group (15 or more) or corporate booking, please contact email@example.com. Please bring your photo ID on the day of the event.
Need some Adler After Dark costume inspiration? Check out some of our photo albums of past AAD attendees! If you’re planning on attending an Adler After Dark event in costume, please see our Cosplay & Costuming Weapons Policy.