Lunapalooza | Jan. 20
January 20, 2019
8:00 pm – Midnight*
Free outside observing
Paid admission for indoor event
The Moon takes center stage at Lunapalooza! Watch it dance with our home planet in a total lunar eclipse, shout “WOW!” to your family and friends, and take your lunar experience to the next level with outdoor observing and indoor activities that celebrate Earth’s celestial companion. See the Adler’s newest sky show and treat your little explorers to a pajama party for kids who are up past their bedtime. Don’t miss your chance to sway to the rhythms of our Universe—reserve your pass today!
*This event will take place rain, snow, or shine!
- Lunar eclipse observing will be outside the Adler in a semi-heated area—grab a complimentary cup of hot chocolate on the way out!
- Visit “Eclipse HQ” in the Space Visualization Lab, which will feature a live feed of the lunar eclipse and informal chats with Adler Astronomers about the state of lunar exploration
- Catch a viewing of our newest sky show, Imagine the Moon
- Stop by Collections Corner for a special viewing of artifacts featured in our upcoming new digital exhibition Imagine the Moon, which highlights works of great artistry about how the Moon has always been present in our lives
- Bring the whole family and enjoy a glow-in-the-dark pajama party in our Family Zone
- Touch a real piece of the Moon and view meteorite specimens under a microscope with Adler facilitators
- Test your creativity by imagining the future of the Moon and sketching your vision in our Future of Lunar Exploration activity
- Plus so much more!
Lunar Eclipse Timing
- Partial eclipse begins: 9:34 pm (9:30 pm)
- Total eclipse begins: 10:41 pm
- Totality* ends: 11:43 pm
Cafe Hours: 8:00-11:00 pm
Adler Store Hours: 8:00-11:00 pm
Please note Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) buses end services to Museum Campus at 11:35 pm.
*Totality is the state or period of an eclipse when light from the eclipsed body is totally obscured.
*Members receive exclusive access to the Adler’s Doane Observatory!